By Jivitha Shobashree
We all think that we are organised. But is that actually true?
Are we focused in the activities that we do without getting distracted?
If the answer is no, then we can solve this problem by using Focus blocks.
What are Focus Blocks of Time or FBOT’s?
Focus blocks are focusing (focus) on one particular activity (block). You set aside a particular time to complete an
activity which requires your time, energy and focus.
The meaning of focus is to perform a task without procrastination and maintain their attention and effort until the task is complete.
So it goes without saying that, when we are doing a focus block all our distractions should be turned off.
When you try to complete doing an activity or assignment. Your phone might open up with a notification, you will have the urge to open it and read, then you would think about the message and what to reply. So, you get distracted and would not have the same focus which you had before opening that notification.
There’s a reason that distraction threatens your work output; According to a university of California ‘it takes 22 mins and 15 seconds to get back to the task’ after a distraction!
That’s where focus block comes to picture, you should prioritize your work and allocate times for the activities you have to perform each day.
Multitasking is overrated…. There has always been a myth where if you multitask you have higher productivity, but in reality that is not the case, your productivity reduces by 40%.
Monotask is dedicating yourself to a single task. Try to monotask with minimal or no interruptions until the task is complete.
Im sharing my tips below on working in Focus Time blocks:
- Consistency: When you start using focus blocks you have to be very consistent. Try to do it more often till it becomes a habit.
2. Turn off notifications: When you start using focus block turn off your notifications on your phone. Let people know that unless its an emergency you will not be available. Also let them know when you will be available.
- A routine: Create a routine and make FBOT’s an essential part of your life, a routine/habit which you always follow.
- Set a time: You can choose any time of the day to do your work, whenever you feel energetic. Keep a track on your energy levels whenever it’s high, that’s the best time to work.
- Don’t go overboard: We are human with a limited amount of energy. You can start by doing this for 25 minutes and take a break of 5 minutes for each block and then slowly increase it to 50 mins with 10 minute breaks doing this for 4 consecutive hours. Gradually increase as you get accustomed to the routine.
- Place of your choice: When you work you need the right environment be it a positive or peaceful place, whichever works best for you.
In the words of David DeNotaris, “Our focus is our future what we focus on will multiply in our lives”
Now try it and let us know how it goes.